Paul, Kristen. Brayden, Kaiden, Akoy, Kove and Baby Lainie

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mixed Feelings...

In my ward today, all of us in the Relief Society Presidency were released. We have been in for over 2 1/2 years and I think everyone was relieved, except for me. I am happy in a way but also a little sad. I am happy because I have the opportunity to serve somewhere else, get to know other people a little better, and have a little break. I am sad because I have learned to love my calling and the sisters I served and have served with.

When I first got called to be the RS secretary I had only been in the ward for less than 3 months. The bishop came to my house and said that the Relief Society and Young Women were going to be reorganizing and my name had come up for several different callings. (I really had no idea how anyone knew me, since I hadn't been there that long but was excited to be getting a calling) When he told me that he would like to extend a calling to me to be the new RS Secretary I said, "Are you sure?"

I didn't doubt that the Bishop or new President knew what they were doing, but the RS Secretary? Me? First of all, I barely knew one or two people and that's only because they were my neighbors or someone that my parents knew. Second, I really hadn't been that involved in RS very much before. I might have gone here and there when I was in between a Primary or YW calling but I really didn't have a lot of experience in Relief Society. Third, I was a single mom. I didn't know if they REALLY wanted ME in the Presidency, I was different than everyone else. Of course I told the Bishop I would accept the calling, even though I was really nervous.

Everyone in the ward was so great after they heard that I was the new Secretary. A few people came up to me and said that there wasn't any better calling for me, especially so I would get to know more people in the ward and all the sisters.
We had a great Presidency. I have heard crazy stories about other RS presidencies but ours was nothing like that. We didn't have a lot of gossip going on, we were different in our own ways, all of us had something unique to offer to the Presidency, and all of us worked really well together. The sisters in our ward were always so willing to serve each other that it just made our callings that much easier.

There weren't very many times that I didn't look forward to our meetings (even when we were meeting for 2 hours every week that first year) I grew to love and admire the sisters in the presidency and look up to them as great examples of strong, faithful members of the church. My testimony of Relief Society and service has grown so much over the last few years. I love the sisters in our ward and am so grateful that I was able to serve in the RS and that they accepted and loved me too.

Even though I am sad for this change, I know that I am where I am suppose to be. I know that I have gone through different things so that I can learn and grow and strengthen my testimony, and this was one of them. I am so glad that I have had the chance to work with some great women and now I will just wait for what comes next...

3 comments:

Mindy said...

You will do great where ever they put you! I am sure that is a hard change tho.

Justin and Lori said...

Kristen-
I was also able to serve in a Relief Society Presidency as the Secretary also. During that time my testimony grew so much. It is amazing how much you can love the sisters of your ward. I felt really lucky to get called back in to the next Pres. as the
2nd counselor. Now I'm in cub scouts and love it! Reading your post broght back a lot of good memories. Change is hard, good, but hard!

Mandi said...

Wow, it is amazing the testimony builder a calling is. I know that in our Presidency we have had a lot going on, good and bad. But I have to express my love as well to my calling...sister like sister. Sometimes I have felt "out of the loop" and sometimes "lost" but it must be for a good reason. I love my calling and the sisters I work with and serve. I will be sad for the day that we get released, especially the blessings that come with serving in that capacity. I thank you for this simple reminder to be thankful for my blessings and the spirit I receive by serving my sisters.