Paul, Kristen. Brayden, Kaiden, Akoy, Kove and Baby Lainie

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Draper Temple (and Kaiden)







I know, I have been a BIG slacker on my posting. So this one is for all my friends that keep bugging me about posting something.....
Last Friday night we took all of the boys, minus Brayden, to the Draper Temple open house with our friends Mindy and Royce. Every since they announced the two temples being built so close to us, I have been waiting for one of them to be finished so we could go to the open house. I have never been to one and I was especially excited because I wanted Kaiden to finally be able to see the inside of a temple. Every since he was four, he would ask when he would be able to see me get married in the temple or ask if he could go with me every time I went to the temple. As he got older, he understood that he wouldn't be able to go into the temple until he was older but still wished that he could go inside. So, I think Kaiden and I were the most excited about going to the temple. Akoy and Kove didn't really understand what it was all about but they knew it was something special that we were going to do.
The night was suppose to be foggy but luckily it didn't hit the Draper area until we were leaving, so we were able to see the outside the temple as we came upon it. It looked so pretty up on the hill all lit up. I tried to tell Kaiden as much as I could about all the different rooms without telling him too much. He was probably a little confused about a lot of it but he kept asking different questions and seemed really excited. One thing that made me really happy was when he said, "I can't wait until my next birthday so I can come back and do baptisms and I can come back and see the whole thing again."
When I told him that he would only be able to go to certain parts of the temple but would be able to go through the whole temple when he was getting ready to go on his mission, he didn't say "IF I go on a mission." He said "Oh I have to wait that long?"
For anyone that knows my little Kaiden, knows we have come along way with this. When I first got divorced he would not even talk about going on a mission or said he wasn't going (this was when he was 4) Then he started saying that he would go IF I would go with him. (I know it was probably really bad but to save from any anxiety on his part, I told him that I might be able to go with him) We had about a year when he was 8/9 where every Sunday he told me that he hated going to church, because he didn't have to go when he was with his dad (I bribed him with his own set of scriptures if he would stop saying that he hated church, for 6 months. It worked!! and he hasn't said it since and even likes going to church and FHE now.) He would still say that he MIGHT go an a mission, I wouldn't press the issue because I didn't want to fight with him. Lately though, he has talked about where he might go and that he hopes it's not really far away...and then he didn't even balk at the idea of going on a mission, when we were going through the temple.
I think my little boy is growing up...and he is turning into a great young man. It was hard at times and I will still worry that I am not teaching him all that he needs to know to have his own testimony and love for the Gospel. I know though, that I have had a lot of help from Heavenly Father, a great family, great neighbors, our friends and a husband that is a great example. I am doing the best I can and it seems to be turning out....
I'm sorry to have gotten off track, I was just so happy that Kaiden was as excited about seeing the new temple as I was. I am so grateful to have so many temples right in our backyard. Paul and I try to get there often but I know that we can be better. So that is my goal, to go to the temple AT LEAST once a month

3 comments:

Potters said...

I'm glad you were able to take the kids to the open house. I wish I was able to go to one when I was growing up. It seems like you are doing a great job of raising Kaiden. Just keep up the good work.

Mindy said...

It was fun thanks for dinner too! Kadien is a great little boy Kristen you should be proud!

Mandi said...

Yay! What a great post. You know that it is through your good example that your sweet boy is turning around? I know it has been a struggle but look what being patient and not pestering has done for the both of you? He is setting a great example for McKay, only 7 more years (okay, that sounds long) but a mission sounds pretty good...