Paul, Kristen. Brayden, Kaiden, Akoy, Kove and Baby Lainie

Monday, June 1, 2009

Dance Festival

This past Wednesday, Kaiden's school had their annual Dance Festival. I think the school has had this tradition since my brothers went there and even when Paul did (Wow! that's a LONG time.) It is so much fun, I'm glad that they have kept the tradition. Kaiden has been able to participate in it since he was in kindergarten. I'm not so sure he thinks it is so fun,especially now that he is SO old. A few days before the festival, he was telling me about the different songs they were dancing to and said, "There are a lot of girl moves that we have to do, you'll see." He was pretty cute doing the dances but you could tell that he was embarrassed. He was smiling pretty much the whole time though but I think it was more that he was laughing. I got a little teary-eyed thinking that he is growing up so fast.

I can't believe that he is going to be in 6th grade this coming year. He is so smart and a really good kid (with the exception of the few arguments we have had over doing jobs and pulling weeds :) I don't know if this is a normal mom thing or just a weird Kristen thing, but there are times that I worry that I am not teaching him all that he needs to know. I worry that I need to do a better job at teaching him to be a hard worker or a better team player or more about the Gospel or about always being nice to others. He is starting to become more independent and I wonder if I am running out of time for teaching him things. It seemed to be a lot easier when he was younger because he did everything I said and didn't question it. (well, not too much) Now he has his own little personality and he is starting to question some of the things I tell him ( not anything bad but some things like thinking I am overprotective when I want him to take my phone when I let him go over to the park with friends or he complaining about ALL the jobs he has.) Really, it isn't that bad but I start thinking about all the things my parent taught me (some that I know I hated) and hope that I am teaching Kaiden all the things he needs to know to be a good young man. Ooops, I am rambling...

Anyway, Kaiden is going to be in the 5th/6th grade class split again. It's funny to think that he was worried at the beginning of the school year, about being in the harder 5th grade class. He did a great job though and loved it! At parent teacher conferences his teacher would tell me that he was a great student, well rounded in academics and sports and he loved having him in the class. Kaiden is even a little sad that school is over, he says that it is mostly because the fun 6th graders will be gone. He got all A's and one A-. I gave him a hard time about the A- but was just teasing. I am so proud of him. I'm soooo glad that we started early on with our homework and reading routine. He always gets his homework done before he does anything else, if he doesn't do it at school, and he LOVES to read. I just hope it continues this way.....

2 comments:

Mindy said...

He is a good boy you have done a great job with him.

Potters said...

You are doing fine. Don't you worry. I would think that most moms worry about how good of a job we are doing and if we could be doing better. Keep up the good work. He is a great kid.