Paul, Kristen. Brayden, Kaiden, Akoy, Kove and Baby Lainie

Monday, April 6, 2009

April Fools and our Backwards Dinner




The first of April came WAY to soon!! I didn't even have the chance to figure out any neat pranks to play or fibs to tell. Kaiden was going to be with his dad so he had a great one planned but the timing didn't really work out so he still has it for next year....

I wanted to come up with something funny for Paul but by the time I had really thought about it, I was already at work. It would have been funny to do something to his truck but it would have been really hard. I would have had to run home, get his truck keys, drive to his work and then all the way back home, plus get everything done before Bunko that night. I decided that I would have to wait until next year to pull a fun joke on Paul, so I have something for next year too...

Akoy and Kove were going to be with us so I wanted to come up with something fun for them....After racking my brain all day at work, I decided on doing a backwards dinner where we would have dessert first and the real dinner last. I knew the boys would think this was pretty funny. As I was getting everything ready I thought it would be even better if we had to eat with something different than the normal fork and spoon. I started grabbing a bunch of random utensils and other cooking items out of my kitchen drawers. I came up with a BBQ fork, an oven mitt, a big spoon and a few other random things.
When I told the boys we were going to have a special April Fools dinner, with dessert first, they all started laughing and Kove said, "April Fools! Right Kristen?"

I told him that we really were going to eat dessert first, he was SO excited. He got a funny look on his face, laughed and said, "We really get to eat dessert first? Really?"

When Paul noticed that there were no silverware on the the table he started getting on the boys for not setting it right. When I told him that I had taken all the silverware and that everyone had to draw out of a hat the type of utensils they were going to use, Akoy and Kove thought that was even more funny. Kove kept saying, "This is April Fools huh Kristen? We get an April Fools dinner."

Kove drew out the knife and Mexican sombrero (which was one of the harder ones) Akoy got the huge spoon (and then we added on a cute little red cowboy hat and the Cat-in-the-Hat hat for Brayden because Kove didn't want to keep his hat on by himself) Brayden got the HUGE BBQ fork (which turned out to be pretty hard too) and Paul got the fork and oven mitts (which wasn't too hard at all) I was lucky because I didn't have time to find any other utensils and was rushing around making sure all the food was out and had to hurry and eat to get to Bunko, so I got to eat with a regular fork.

Each new food that the boys had to eat was so funny. Akoy did fine with his spoon and dessert but had a really hard time with his salad. Kove ended up resorting to a fork because he couldn't eat anything with his knife and Brayden figured out that it was easier to stab each corn kernel because his fork was too wide. I think that our backwards dinner was a big hit so I think that we will make it an April Fools tradition. I feel sad that Kaiden missed out but hopefully next year both of us will be able to pull some big pranks and have him home for dinner...

3 comments:

Potters said...

That is such a cute idea. I'm glad the boys thought it was fun.

Mindy said...

You are so creative. How fun.

Dessa Mae said...

Hey Kristen. I found your blog on Jessicas and wanted to say hello!! Kaiden is getting so big! I love coming down and seeing how grown up he's getting!!